This Thai cucumber salad recipe will make you think of your favorite Thai place, but it only takes minutes to make! Thinly sliced cucumbers are tossed in a sweet and savory dressing along with red onions, red pepper, peanuts and herbs for the perfect side dish.
What is in Thai Cucumber Salad?
- Persian or English Cucumbers
- Red Onion
- Red Peppers
- Rice Vinegar
Can my kiddos help make this salad?
YES!!! They can help peel the cucumbers, mix the dressing and tear off the cilantro leaves. Also, if safe for them, they can sprinkle the peanuts or breadcrumbs at the end!
Thai Cucumber Salad
- 1 lb cucumbers peeled and thinly sliced I use small persian or English cucumbers
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1/4 cup finely diced red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup rice vinegar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/3 cup chopped peanuts omit or substitute with breadcrumbs if desired
- After peeling and slicing the cucumbers, place them in a colander and sprinkle with salt.
- Toss to coat the cucumber slices in salt. Let sit 10 minutes.
- Use a paper towel to blot the cucumber slices dry.
- While letting the cucumbers sit, in a small bowl, add rice vinegar and sugar. Microwave for 30 seconds and stir until sugar is dissolved.
- Place the cucumbers, red pepper and red onion in a large bowl, then pour the rice vinegar mixture over the top.
- Add the cilantro to the cucumber mixture and stir until combined. Cover and refrigerate for at least 20 minutes, or up to 24 hours.
- For a little crunch, sprinkle peanuts or breadcrumbs over the top, then serve.