If you ever thought lentils were bland or boring, the flavors in this easy lentil stew recipe will pleasantly surprise you! This lentil stew recipe is loaded with aromatics and spices and amped up with spinach for a nutrient-dense and satisfying vegetarian dinner.
Spinach Lentil Stew
If you ever thought lentils were bland or boring, the flavors in this easy lentil stew recipe will surprise you! This lentil stew is loaded with aromatics and spices and spinach has a starring role to make this a nutrient-dense and satisfying vegetarian dinner.
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 5 cups water
- 1 cup lentils rinsed
- 4 teaspoons vegetable or chicken bouillon granules
- 3 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 can 14-½ ounces diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 package 10 ounces frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- In a large saucepan, saute onion in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add the water, lentils, bouillon, Worcestershire sauce, salt, thyme, pepper and bay leaf; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add the carrots, tomatoes and spinach; return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 15-20 minutes longer or until lentils are tender. Stir in vinegar. Discard bay leaf.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
Leave a Reply