This macaroni and cheese recipe is a classic comfort food that’s a perfect side or main dish for any occasion. It’s easy to make and can be customized with different cheeses and add-ins to suit your taste. Here’s a simple recipe for homemade macaroni and cheese that’s sure to please:Jump to Recipe
Macaroni and Cheese
- 1 pound elbow macaroni
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Cook the elbow macaroni according to the package instructions until it’s al dente. Drain the pasta and set it aside.
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat.
- Add the flour and stir to combine, cooking for 1-2 minutes until it turns light brown in color.
- Gradually whisk in the milk, stirring constantly to prevent lumps from forming. Continue to cook the mixture until it thickens, which should take around 5-7 minutes.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and stir in the shredded cheddar cheese until it’s melted and smooth.
- Add the salt and black pepper to taste.
- Add the cooked elbow macaroni to the cheese sauce and stir until everything is well combined.
- Transfer the mixture to a greased baking dish and bake for 25-30 minutes, until the top is golden brown and bubbly.
- Let the macaroni and cheese cool for a few minutes before serving.
Chopped cooked ham
Roasted red peppers
Enjoy your delicious homemade macaroni and cheese!