Elote Salad (Mexican Corn Salad)
- Large wok or large skillet; microplane grater
- 1 head romaine lettuce
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- 1/4 c tortilla strips
- 4 ounces feta or Cotija cheese, finely crumbled divided
- 2 tablespoons olive or vegetable oil
- 4 ears fresh corn shucked, kernels removed (about 3 cups fresh corn kernels)
- Kosher salt to taste
- 1/2 cup finely sliced scallions green parts only
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves, finely chopped
- 1 jalapeño pepper seeded and stemmed, finely chopped
- 1 to 2 medium cloves garlic pressed or minced on a Microplane grater (about 1 to 2 teaspoons)
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice from 1-2 limes
- Chile powder or hot chile flakes to taste
Prep Salad Ingredients
- Clean and chop romaine lettuce. Slice tomatoes, if desired. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet or wok over high heat until shimmering. Add corn kernels, season to taste with salt, toss once or twice, and cook without moving until charred on one side, about 2 minutes. Toss corn, stir, and repeat until charred on second side, about 2 minutes longer. Continue tossing and charring until corn is well charred all over, about 10 minutes total. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Add 2 oz cheese, scallions, cilantro, jalapeño, garlic, mayonnaise, lime juice, and chile powder and toss to combine. Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and more chile powder to taste.
This salad can be a brought to school or work in a mason jar.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!