Caribbean Black Beans and Rice
- 2 cups uncooked brown rice
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion chopped
- 1 red bell pepper cored, seeded and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 14.5-ounce can coconut milk
- 2 cups vegetable broth or chicken stock
- 2 15.0-ounce cans black beans, drained and rinsed, or 3 cups cooked
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Chopped fresh cilantro optional
- 1 lime cut into wedges (optional)
- Cook rice according to package directions. I love cooking rice in an instant pot or rice cooker.
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium-high heat.
- Add onions and cook until just soft, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add peppers, garlic and chili powder and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add coconut milk and stock and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Stir in beans, then simmer until flavors are melded, about 5 minutes more; season with salt and pepper.
- Spoon beans over rice, garnish with cilantro and lime wedges and serve.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!