The Very Best French Toast Recipe is so easy to make and super soft and moist! You can add your favorite toppings, but it really is delicious all on its own!
This classic French Toast is a recipe that I absolutely love to make – especially on a lazy weekend morning. There’s just something special about this rich and delicious French Toast drizzled with warm maple syrup! And I’ve been making it for so long that I’ve perfected the steps so that it is so easy. Whether I’m making it for a crowd of weekend guests or for just the three of us, I can have it on the table in minutes!
French toast just has such a way of starting the morning off in the best way. Paired with a bowl of fresh fruit, a few slices of bacon, and drizzle of maple syrup, and this will be a meal that will fill their spirits as much as their bodies.
Classic French Toast
I’ve been making this classic French Toast recipe for as long as I can remember. I love that it makes the best French Toast with just a few ingredients that you can customize to your tastes! There are a few basic ingredients that you’ll need.
What are the Ingredients for French Toast?
- Bread – I provide a few options for our favorite bread to use below.
- Eggs – you will need large eggs for this recipe
- Milk – you can use your favorite milk or milk alternative in this recipe if you want to make your French toast without milk.
- Salt – add a pinch of salt to balance the flavors and sweetness
- Sweetener – you definitely have options for the sweetener to use based on your personal preferences.
- Flavorings – I love to include vanilla extract and ground cinnamon for a classic French toast flavor. You can omit the cinnamon, if you prefer or add more for a more pronounced cinnamon French Toast.
- Butter – melted on the griddle for cooking and then add a pat for serving, if desired.
- Maple syrup – real maple syrup is required in our family for the perfect French toast! You can also use a fruit syrup like my blackberry syrup if you prefer.
What is the Best Bread for French Toast?
I think day old challah bread is best for French Toast but really any bread is delicious with this recipe.
- Texas Toast
Types of Milk to Use
I love French toast that has been made with heavy cream, but it is just fine made with whatever milk is on hand.
- Heavy Cream
- Half and Half
- Whole Milk
- Skim Milk
You can also use dairy-free milk alternatives for making this French toast recipe. I love to use different ones depending on who I am serving. For instance, one family friend isn’t able to have dairy or almonds, so I use oat milk for theirs. They always love it! The flavor may change slightly depending on the milk option that you use.
- Coconut Milk
- Almond Milk
- Oat Milk
I have tested this recipe using various sweeteners with great success. It is delicious using maple syrup, honey, and coconut sugar as well as confectioner’s and granulated sugar. The flavor profile will change slightly based on the sweetener that you use. For example, using maple syrup will give a hint of maple flavor to the recipe (which is delicious when served with maple syrup!)
- 100% Maple Syrup
- Coconut Sugar
- Granulated Sugar
- Confectioner’s Sugar
- Homemade Whipped Cream
- Chocolate Chips
How to Make Easy French Toast
French Toast Recipe
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup milk
- pinch salt
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 8 slices Texas toast
- Whisk together eggs, milk, vanilla, and cinnamon in a flat-bottomed serving plate or baking dish. Place bread slices, one or two at a time, into the egg mixture and flip to make sure both sides of bread are well-coated.
- Melt butter and sprinkle brown sugar in a large skillet or on a griddle over medium-low heat.
- Place bread slices in skillet or on griddle and cook on medium heat until golden brown on each side, about 2-3 minutes. Serve immediately or keep warm in oven until ready to serve, but no longer than about 30 minutes.
Leave a Reply