The best hummus recipe focuses on texture as well as taste. Hummus needs to be creamy, soft, and airy. I have had a few hummus fails in the past and it always comes down to the texture. Delicious hummus should have a flavor profile that is nutty and citrusy.
Scroll down for the full recipe and variations.Jump to Recipe
How to Make the Best Hummus
1) Mushy chickpeas
Cook canned or leftover cooked chickpeas according to step 1 below. This only adds 20 minutes to your hummus-making time, and it’s one of the most important steps to making perfect hummus at home.
Can I cook chickpeas from scratch? YES! —see the recipe notes.
Can you cook chickpeas in an Instant Pot? I don’t recommend it
2) Great tahini
My favorite brands of tahini? I have tried Soom which is delicious. There is also Trader Joe’s organic tahini, which is made from Ethiopian sesame seeds like Soom’s.
Don’t skimp on the tahini—you need to use 1/2 cup tahini per can of chickpeas for rich and irresistible hummus. I once toured an enormous hummus production facility and learned that they often reduce the cost of producing store-bought hummus by using less tahini. Sneaky!
3) Ice-cold water
Why do you always want to mix ice-cold water with tahini? This is another trick that I learned on my trip. I can’t find a scientific explanation, but it seems to help make the hummus light and fluffy, and lightens the color of the tahini to a pale ivory color.
4) Fresh-squeezed lemon juice
Store bought lemon juice does not offer the same flavor as juice squeezed fresh from lemons.
5) Garlic, mellowed in lemon juice
Mince the garlic in the food processor or blender with the lemon juice and let that mixture rest for a few minutes, the garlic will lose its harsh, raw bite and mellow out.
6) Olive oil, blended into the hummus and drizzled on top
Just one tablespoon can make the hummus taste creamy with just the right texture. I recommend it!
7) Ground cumin
The cumin adds a bit of color and a little more depth in flavor and is a common ingredient in plain hummus recipes.
Please share a photo of your results on Instagram with the hashtag #berriesandoats or tag us at @berriesandoats1 so we can all see your results.
Best Hummus Recipe
- 1½ cups cooked chickpeas PEELED, drained and rinsed
- ⅓ cup smooth tahini (I prefer Trader Joe's organic tahini or Soom)
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice more to taste
- 1 garlic clove
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 5 tablespoons water or as needed to blend
- paprika red pepper flakes, or parsley, for garnish
- Peel the chickpeas. (This step takes a long time, but it is worth it.)
- In a blender or food processor, place the chickpeas, tahini olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, and salt. Continue to blend until smooth, adding water as needed to blend, and/or to reach your desired consistency.
- Transfer to a serving plate, top with a bit more olive oil and desired garnishes. Serve with toasted pita bread and your favorite veggies, as desired.