If you're looking for free downloadable school bento box recipes and weekly menus, you've come to the right place. This is week 4 which features flavors from all over the world! We add a new school lunchbox menu each week, so be sure to check back or sign up for the menus to come straight to your inbox. As always, if you are able, please like or comment and share with your friends! Bon Appetit!
Peruvian Chicken with Green Sauce
- 2 pounds chicken thighs you can substitute chicken breast if you prefer
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 4 garlic cloves- finely minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 teaspoons honey or sugar
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons paprika or smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ cup Greek yogurt
- ½ jalapeño seeded and finely chopped optional
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1 cup chopped cilantro
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- juice of 1-2 limes
- Combine olive oil, soy sauce, lime, honey, spices and salt. Transfer to a resealable plastic bag and add the chicken. Seal the bag and marinate the chicken in the refrigerator, turning once, for 1 hour. The chicken can be marinated for up to 4 hours.
- Heat the grill or broiler to medium high. Arrange the chicken on a broiler pan skin side down and broil until brown and crispy, 8 to 10 minutes. Flip the chicken and broil until cooked through (to 165 F), about 10 minutes longer.
- While chicken is cooking, make the Green Sauce. To make the Green Sauce, place all the ingredients in a food processor and combine well.
- ½ cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 teaspoon garam masala
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon ginger peeled and grated
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 -2 lbs chicken thigh fillets cut into bite size pieces
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon ginger minced
- 1 ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 ½ teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 14 oz crushed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 c heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Naan bread
- 2 cups fully cooked rice
- In a large bowl, combine yogurt, lemon juice, marinade spices and garlic until smooth.
- Cut the chicken thighs into 1-inch pieces. Sprinkle with the salt, pepper, and remaining marinade ingredients. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or overnight.
- When ready to cook, heat olive oil in a large skillet over high heat. When the oil is hot, carefully add the chicken pieces (do not pour remaining marinade into pan). Cook (in batches if necessary), stirring occasionally, until the chicken is cooked through, about 10 minutes.
- Add a little more oil to the pan if necessary and add the garlic and the onions. Cook, stirring, until both are lightly browned, about 1-2 minutes. Return the chicken to the pan, along with any juices on the plate. Stir in the tomatoes, heavy cream, spices, sugar and water. When it simmers, reduce the heat, cover, and cook for 20 minutes; stir in more water, ¼ cup at a time, if the sauce becomes too thick, letting the sauce cook for a few minutes before adding more.
Brazilian Black Beans
- 16 oz dry Black Beans or 2 cans of black beans rinsed
- 1 14 oz Smoked sausage cut into 1" pieces
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ teaspoon of cumin
- kosher salt to taste
- fresh ground black pepper to taste
- ½ teaspoon of white vinegar
- 20 oz chicken stock low sodium
- 4 strips of applewood or hickory smoked bacon cut into 1" to 1 ½" pieces
- 2 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 medium onion diced
- 6 cloves of garlic minced
- If using canned beans, skip to step 4.
- Pick, rinse, and soak beans in cold water for 30 mins.
- Change water, and soak in cold water for another 30 mins.
- Brown sausage in a large pot on the stove
- If using canned beans, rinse well. Remove sausage from large pot and add beans. Add chicken stock and 2 cups water.
- Bring pot to a boil over medium-high heat. Add cumin, vinegar, and the bay leaf to the pan, stir and continue to simmer for about 15 more mins and reduce to a simmer.
- In a separate pan, add bacon over medium to high heat, and cook until lightly browned or bake in oven.
- Add olive oil to the skillet, then the onions and sauté until the onions are transparent, 2-3 mins.
- Add the garlic to the skillet, stir and sauté until fragrant and lightly golden.
- Add the contents of the skillet into the beans, return sausage to pot, stir and simmer until desired thickness is reached. Remove bay leaf. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper if needed. Serve warm with rice.
- 1 large jicama (about grapefruit size) or 3 small (peeled and shredded)
- ½ head red cabbage shredded
- 2 carrots peeled and shredded
- 1 large red pepper stem and seeds removed, sliced thin
- ½ white onion sliced thin
- ½ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup rice vinegar
- juice of 2 limes
- 2 tablespoons honey
- ½ teaspoon ancho chili powder regular chili powder can be used as a substitute
- ½ teaspoon red chile flakes optional
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cup finely chopped cilantro leaves
Lemon Tarragon Chicken Salad
This chicken salad recipe is super easy to make and a great make ahead item.
- 4 c cooked chicken breast
- ¼ cup minced red onion
- ½ cup finely chopped celery
- ½ cup plain Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- juice of 1-2 lemons
- 1 tablespoon honey
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh tarragon
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon zest or zest of 1 large lemon
- In a large bowl, whisk together yogurt, mayonnaise, lemon juice, honey, salt and pepper. Add the chicken, celery, red onion, parsley, tarragon and lemon zest. Set aside.
Mediterranean Farro and Chickpea Salad
- ⅓ cup tahini
- ⅓ cup water
- 2 lemons, juiced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 15-oz can chickpeas
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika $0.05
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder $0.03
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper optional
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Salt to taste
- 3 cups cooked farro
- 2 pints cherry tomatoes
- 1 English cucumber
- ¼ c fresh parsley finely chopped
Prepare the Dressing
- In a blender or food processor, combine tahini, water, lemon juice, minced garlic, cumin, cayenne, and salt. Blend until smooth. Set dressing aside until ready to use. Dressing can be kept in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Prepare the Seasoned Chickpeas
- Rinse and drain chickpeas. In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Once oil is hot, add drained chick peas. Add spices to skillet. Stir and continue to sauté until the outside of the chickpeas are slightly brown (around 5 minutes). Season with salt to taste.
Prepare the Salad
- Slice cherry tomatoes, dice cucumber, and chop parsley. In a large bowl, place tomato, cucumber, seasoned chickpeas, cooked farro and parsley. Toss with dressing.
Black Bean Taco Salad
- 1 c romaine lettuce chopped
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- 1 cup black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 cup corn canned or steamed from fresh/frozen
- ¼ cup sliced cherry tomatoes
- ¼ cup sliced green onion green part only
- ¼ cup grated cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup tortilla chips
Dressing or Dipping Sauce
- 1 large avocado seeded and skin removed
- ¼ cup plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- juice of ½ lemon
- 1 clove garlic minced
- ½ teaspoon parsley or 1 teaspoon fresh parsley
- ½ teaspoon dill or 1 teaspoon fresh dill
- ½ teaspoon chives or 1 teaspoon fresh chives
- ½ teaspoon onion powder or 1 teaspoon raw onion
- ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- ¼ cup milk
Prepare the salad
- Chop all veggies up super small so its easier for your kiddo to eat. Finely chop romaine (if using) bell pepper and cherry tomatoes, and thinly slice green onion. Combine with black beans, corn, and grated cheese. (Add seasoned ground beef here if using) Toss gently to combine.
Prepare the dressing
- In a food processor or blender, combine all ingredients EXCEPT milk.
- Blend until well-combined.
- Continue blending and add milk in small amounts until desired thickness is reached.
- Refrigerate avocado dressing in an airtight container up to 5 days.
Leave a Reply