Southwestern Vegetable Quesadillas
Southwestern vegetable quesadillas loaded with black beans, corn, bell pepper, cilantro, spices and lots of cheese and served with a creamy cilantro sour-cream dip. These quick quesadillas are packed with flavor and can be made vegan too!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup bell pepper seeded and diced red, yellow and orange
- 1 small poblano pepper seeded and diced optional
- 1 cup black beans canned rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup corn canned, frozen or fresh
- 1/2 cup onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced or crushed
- 1 tsp cumin
- ½ tsp oregano
- 1 tsp chili powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- 4 medium flour tortillas use whole wheat for healthier option
- 2 cups shredded quesadilla cheese see note
For the sour-cream cilantro sauce:
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup mayo or replace with sour-cream or Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup cilantro minced
- Juice of ½ lime
- 1 tsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a medium pan over medium-high heat. Add the oil, bell peppers, black beans, corn, onion, garlic, cumin, chili powder, salt, and pepper. Season with salt and pepper and cook for 3-4 minutes or until the bell peppers and onions of softened. Turn off heat and stir in the cilantro.
- In a clean skillet over medium heat, add a flour tortilla. Top with cheese, cooked veggies mixture, and another layer of cheese. Place another tortilla on top and cook, flipping once, until golden on both sides, about 3 minutes per side. Repeat with remaining ingredients. Slice and Serve with sour-cream cilantro sauce.
- To Make the sour-cream cilantro sauce. Whisk all the ingredients in a medium bowl until combined.
For the cheese: You have many options. You can use shredded mozzarella, a Mexican blend, pepper jack, Monterey jack, cheddar, or your favorite melting cheese. Optional add-ins: cooked chicken, avocado, tomatoes, mushrooms.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!