My all-time favorite chicken enchilada recipe! And a delicious alternative on Taco Tuesday
Servings 8 servings
- 2 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 1 small white or yellow onion peeled and diced
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts diced into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 4-oz can diced green chiles
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 15-oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 8 large flour tortillas
- 3 c Mexican-blend shredded cheese
- 1 15-oz can red enchilada sauce
- fresh cilantro, chopped red onions, diced avocado, sour cream, and/or crumbled cotija cheese
- Prep oven and enchilada sauce. Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Sauté the filling mixture. In large sauté pan, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and sauté for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add diced chicken and green chiles, and season with a generous pinch of salt and pepper. Sauté the mixture for 6-8 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until the chicken is cooked through. Add in the beans and stir until evenly combined. Remove pan from heat and set aside.
- Assemble the enchiladas. To assemble the enchiladas, set up an assembly line including: tortillas, enchilada sauce, chicken mixture, and cheese. Lay out a tortilla, and spread two tablespoons of sauce over the surface of the tortilla. Add a generous spoonful of the chicken mixture in a line down the center of the tortilla, then sprinkle with 1/3 cup cheese. Roll up tortilla and place in a greased 9x13 baking dish. Assemble the remaining enchiladas. Then spread any remaining sauce evenly over the top of the enchiladas, followed by any extra cheese.
- Bake. Bake uncovered for 20 minutes, until the enchiladas are cooked through and the tortillas are slightly crispy on the outside.
- Make ahead instructions. If you would like to make a pan of enchiladas in advance, follow the recipe instructions through step 3 (assembling the enchiladas). Wrap the pan tightly with foil. Then you can either refrigerate the enchiladas for up to 3 days, then bake as directed. Or you can freeze the enchiladas for up to 3 months, then let them thaw in the refrigerator for 24 hours, then bake as directed
Tried this recipe?Rate it and please leave a comment below. If you loved it, share a photo on Instagram. Tag @berriesandoats1 and hashtag it #berriesandoats