Brazilian Black Beans
- 16 oz dry Black Beans or 2 cans of black beans rinsed
- 1 14 oz Smoked sausage cut into 1" pieces
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ tsp of cumin
- kosher salt to taste
- fresh ground black pepper to taste
- ½ tsp of white vinegar
- 20 oz chicken stock low sodium
- 4 strips of applewood or hickory smoked bacon cut into 1" to 1 1/2" pieces
- 2 tbsp of olive oil
- 1 medium onion diced
- 6 cloves of garlic minced
- If using canned beans, skip to step 4.
- Pick, rinse, and soak beans in cold water for 30 mins.
- Change water, and soak in cold water for another 30 mins.
- Brown sausage in a large pot on the stove
- If using canned beans, rinse well. Remove sausage from large pot and add beans. Add chicken stock and 2 cups water.
- Bring pot to a boil over medium-high heat. Add cumin, vinegar, and the bay leaf to the pan, stir and continue to simmer for about 15 more mins and reduce to a simmer.
- In a separate pan, add bacon over medium to high heat, and cook until lightly browned or bake in oven.
- Add olive oil to the skillet, then the onions and sauté until the onions are transparent, 2-3 mins.
- Add the garlic to the skillet, stir and sauté until fragrant and lightly golden.
- Add the contents of the skillet into the beans, return sausage to pot, stir and simmer until desired thickness is reached. Remove bay leaf. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper if needed. Serve warm with rice.
Tried this recipe?Rate it and please leave a comment below. If you loved it, share a photo on Instagram. Tag @berriesandoats1 and hashtag it #berriesandoats