This is a simple rice bowl that everyone in the family will love!
Oyakodon (Japanese Chicken and Egg Rice Bowl)
Quick and easy, this is a very popular dish among families with young children in Japan. (Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oyakodon)
- 1-1½ lbs skinless boneless chicken thighs
- 2 small onions sliced
- 2 c chicken stock or dashi
- ¼ c soy sauce or more to taste
- 1 tablespoon sugar or more to taste
- 4 large eggs lightly beaten
- 4 c cooked rice to serve
Optional Toppings for Garnish
- green onion, sesame oil, nori, and / or togarashi
- Combine chicken, soy sauce, mirin, and sugar in a bowl and set aside for 5-10 minutes while preparing the other ingredients.
- In a small pan, bring chicken stock to a boil over medium heat. Add onion and cook until aromatic, about 1 minute. Add the chicken mixture and cook for about 1-2 minutes on each side.
- When the chicken is almost cooked through, pour the egg mixture evenly into the pan and cook for a few seconds until the edges are nearly set.
- Lightly scramble the eggs and cook for a few seconds more until the eggs are still a bit runny - the residual heat will continue to cook the eggs. Serve over a bowl of rice, garnish and enjoy!
I recommend cooking the rice with slightly less water to pair with the chicken and eggs, as it will absorb the remaining broth. Whisking the eggs until it is about 70-80% mixed through will ensure that it is soft and silky in texture but not like scrambled eggs.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
Leave a Reply