This farro salad recipe features classic Mediterranean flavors that are fresh and bright. It is a wonderful fall recipe and will keep you full from lunch until dinner.
What is farro?
Emmer is known as farro or grano farro or farro medio (“medium farro”) and is staging a comeback as a gourmet specialty. Semolina ﬂour made from emmer is still used today for special soups and other dishes in Tuscany and Umbria, and farro is thought by some aﬁcionados to make the best pasta.
How to be sure you’re getting whole farro: Avoid labels that say “pearled” when you’re looking for whole-grain farro, and look for the words whole farro.
Is farro healthy?
Farro, is loaded with nutrients, making it a good alternative to more refined carbohydrates like pasta or white rice. In fact, it’s an excellent source of plant-based protein, making it a great option for vegetarians and vegans. Farro is also an excellent source of:
Mediterranean Farro and Chickpea Salad
- ⅓ cup tahini
- ⅓ cup water
- 2 lemons, juiced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 15-oz can chickpeas
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika $0.05
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder $0.03
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper optional
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Salt to taste
- 3 cups cooked farro
- 2 pints cherry tomatoes
- 1 English cucumber
- ¼ c fresh parsley finely chopped
Prepare the Dressing
- In a blender or food processor, combine tahini, water, lemon juice, minced garlic, cumin, cayenne, and salt. Blend until smooth. Set dressing aside until ready to use. Dressing can be kept in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Prepare the Seasoned Chickpeas
- Rinse and drain chickpeas. In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Once oil is hot, add drained chick peas. Add spices to skillet. Stir and continue to sauté until the outside of the chickpeas are slightly brown (around 5 minutes). Season with salt to taste.
Prepare the Salad
- Slice cherry tomatoes, dice cucumber, and chop parsley. In a large bowl, place tomato, cucumber, seasoned chickpeas, cooked farro and parsley. Toss with dressing.