This chicken salad recipe is a variation on classic chicken salad using a bit of acid from fresh lemons and sweetness with honey. This chicken salad has a lovely light and fruity flavor. With Greek yogurt adding even more protein, this simple chicken salad is a healthy option all year long.
What Is Tarragon?
tarragon, (Artemisia dracunculus), also called estragon, bushy aromatic herb of the family Asteraceae, the dried leaves and flowering tops of which are used to add tang and piquancy to many culinary dishes, particularly fish, chicken, stews, sauces, omelets, cheeses, vegetables, tomatoes, and pickles. Once grown in Siberia thousands of years ago, today, tarragon grows in dry, sunny regions across the northern hemisphere, from Asia to the United States.
What Does Tarragon Pair Well With?
Tarragon is used around the world in a variety of traditional dishes.
- In Slovenia, tarragon is used in a sweet nut roll cake known as potica.
- In Hungary, tarragon is put to use in chicken soup.
- In Persian cuisine, tarragon is part of the sabzi knordan, a platter of vegetables and herbs that is traditionally served with meals.
- In Armenia and Eastern European countries like Georgia, Russia, and Ukraine, the herb is consumed via a popular bright green carbonated drink called Tarkhuna, which is made with sweet tarragon concentrate.
What Are Tarragon’s Health Benefits?
Rich in minerals like manganese, iron, and potassium, as well as beneficial carotenoids, tarragon has been used to prevent a number of ailments and health issues. While in Chinese medicine, tarragon has been used to reduce inflammation and strengthen the liver, the French traditionally have relied on a tea made with the herb to treat insomnia and improve sleep overall.
Lemon Tarragon Chicken Salad
- 4 c cooked chicken breast
- 1/4 cup minced red onion
- 1/2 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- juice of 1-2 lemons
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh tarragon
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon zest or zest of 1 large lemon
- In a large bowl, whisk together yogurt, mayonnaise, lemon juice, honey, salt and pepper. Add the chicken, celery, red onion, parsley, tarragon and lemon zest. Set aside.