This is one of those salads that is almost too easy. A kale salad can be a great switch up and accompany most meals. Kale salads always hold up great if you have leftovers.
Do you like kale salads in restaurants but not at home? A secret to making kale taste great at home is to massage the kale with olive oil and your hands for several minutes before tossing with the rest of the ingredients.
Kale and Butternut Squash Chopped Salad
- 3 cups cubed butternut squash about 1-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon chipotle chile pepper
- 1 head kale or 1 bag of pre-chopped kale
- 1 to 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 to 3 ounces goat cheese crumbled
- ¼ cup roasted pepitas
- APRICOT VINAIGRETTE
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons apricot preserves
- 2 garlic cloves finely minced or pressed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes optional
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Place the butternut squash on the sheet and toss with a tablespoon of olive oil. Season with the salt, pepper, garlic powder, cumin, paprika and chipotle pepper. Toss well. Roast for 20 to 25 minutes, until the squash has started to caramelize.
- While the squash is roasting, wash and chop the kale leaves. Place them in a large bowl and drizzle on 1 to 2 teaspoons of the olive oil. Use your hands to massage the oil into the kale, massaging for a few minutes. Let the kale sit for 5 minutes. (This is a great step for the kiddos to help)
- Add a pinch of salt and pepper to the kale and toss. Add the crumbled goat cheese, roasted pepitas, and the chopped roasted squash. Drizzle with the dressing and serve!
- In a bowl or jar, whisk together the vinegar, preserves, garlic, salt, pepper flakes and pepper. Slowly add in the olive oil while whisking until emulsified. Drizzle on the salad and serve immediately. This keeps well in the fridge for 3 to 4 days.