Egg Strata Recipe (Overnight Breakfast Casserole) – This easy make-ahead recipe can be a holiday breakfast and is super quick to prep. Just prep the day before, pop it in the oven the next morning and enjoy!
A rich and delicious Egg and Sausage Strata that everyone will love! This easy recipe is perfect makes enough to feed a crowd and can be made the night before, for a simple wake and bake breakfast or brunch the next day!
Breakfast foods are some of our family’s favorite foods and this Sausage Strata is hard to beat! This super simple strata is so comforting, delicious and can feed between 8 and 10 people! Our strata is also a favorite because you can make it the night before and just pop it in the oven before you’re ready to serve it!
We make this recipe whenever we have guests over for brunch, but especially during the holidays. It’s one of the best Christmas morning breakfasts you could ask for!
What is a Strata?
A strata is a layered egg casserole, usually involving layers of bread with some sort of filling between the layers. It’s most popular as a brunch dish and is similar to a bread pudding, but more often made savory (like this recipe!).
Leftovers can be frozen in individual portions, wrapped in foil and then stored in an airtight container for up to 2 months. When ready to serve, leftover portions can be unwrapped, placed onto a microwave safe plate, covered with a damp paper towel and heated for 3 to 5 minutes (depending on the strength of your microwave).
Egg Strata Recipe Variations
So, to make an ultra-luxurious and flavor-packed Strata Breakfast Bake use all or some of these ingredients:
- Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- Smoked Gouda Cheese
- Deli Ham
- Cooked Spinach
- Fresh or Roasted Red Peppers
- Ground Mustard
- Garlic Powder
- French or Brioche Bread
The blend of these two cheeses creates an intriguing richness that is balanced by the zesty notes of the scallions and roasted red peppers.
Cooked bacon or sausage can be swapped for ham or completely omitted for a vegetarian strata recipe.
Cheesy Egg Bacon and Sausage Strata
- 1-1/2 pounds bulk pork sausage
- 9 large eggs lightly beaten
- 3 cups whole milk
- 9 slices day-old brioche bread cubed
- 1-1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 pound sliced bacon cooked and chopped
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground mustard
- In a large skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add the eggs, milk, bread, cheese, bacon and mustard. Transfer to a greased shallow 3-qt. baking dish. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Cover and bake at 350° for 60-65 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving. Serve with freshly squeezed orange juice.