This Creamy Chicken and Wild Rice Soup recipe is rich, hearty and delicious! This family-friendly soup will have everyone asking for seconds!Jump to Recipe
Creamy Chicken and Wild Rice Soup
This Creamy Chicken and Wild Rice Soup recipe is rich, hearty and incredibly satisfying! This family-friendly soup will have everyone asking for seconds!
- 3/4 cup uncooked wild rice blend
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion 1 small onion
- 1 cup diced carrots 2 medium
- 1 cup diced celery 3 ribs
- 7 Tbsp butter diced, divided
- 1 large garlic clove minced (1 1/2 tsp)
- 4 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 tsp of each dried thyme marjoram, sage and rosemary (or 1 tsp fresh, minced of any)
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into bite size pieces
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- Prepare rice according to package instructions.
- In a separate stock pot, melt 1 Tbsp butter over medium heat. Add onion, carrots and celery and saute 4 minutes, add garlic and saute 30 seconds longer.
- Add chicken broth, thyme, marjoram, sage, rosemary and season with salt and black pepper. Increase heat to medium-high, add chicken pieces and bring mixture to a simmer.
- Cover pot with lid, reduce to medium-low heat and allow mixture to simmer until chicken is cooked through, about 16-20 minutes
- Meanwhile in a separate medium saucepan, melt remaining 6 Tbsp butter over medium heat. Add flour and cook 1 1/2 minutes, whisking constantly.
- Then while whisking vigorously, slowly pour milk into butter/flour mixture. Whisk in heavy cream. Cook mixture, stirring constantly until it thickens.
- Add milk mixture to soup in pot, cooked rice, and lemon zest. Stir well and remove from heat.
did you make this recipe?Please rate and leave a comment! Or snap a pic and tag me on Instagram at @berriesandoats1 to let me know how it was!