If you’re looking for a light and healthy summer dish, a blackened salmon salad is just the thing!
Crisp greens are topped with tender blackened salmon, carrots, and red onion and all drizzled with a creamy mustard dressing.Jump to Recipe
Is Salmon Good For You?
Web MD says:
A serving of salmon — 3 to 4 ounces — is about 200 calories. It’s very low in saturated fat and a good source of protein. It’s also one of the best sources of vitamin B12. It’s also bursting in potassium and other nutrients like iron and vitamin D.
The vitamin B12 in salmon keeps blood and nerve cells humming and helps you make DNA. But for your health, the true beauty of salmon is its wealth of omega-3 fatty acids. Most omega-3s are “essential” fatty acids. Your body can’t make them, but they play critical roles in your body. They can lower the chance that you’ll have:
- Cardiovascular disease (including heart attack and stroke)
- Some types of cancer
- Alzheimer’s and other cognitive diseases
Is Salmon Easy to Cook?
Salmon can be made by baking, grilling or pan-fried like in this recipe. Quick and easy, this dish can be ready for you and your family in less than half an hour! It is great for lunch or dinner with friends.Jump to Recipe
Blackened Salmon Salad
- 1 c mayonnaise you can sub Greek yogurt if preferred
- ¼ c Dijon mustard
- ¼ c cider vinegar
- 4 6-oz salmon fillets
- ⅛ c canola oil
- ⅓ c Cajun seasoning
- 1 bag Spring Mix Salad
- 1 large carrot grated
- ½ red onion minced
- 3 scallions sliced thinly and diagonally
To Prepare the Mustard Dressing
- Combine the mayonnaise, mustard, and vinegar in a large mixing bowl. Set aside.
To Prepare the Salmon
- (If you would like to make your own Cajun spice mixture, prepare now.)
- Place the salmon on a large plate, flesh-side up, and pat dry.
- Brush the flesh side of the salmon fillets with canola oil, sprinkle with the Cajun spice mixture and press the seasoning onto the salmon fillets using your hand or the back of a spoon.
- Heat a large cast iron skillet or similar heavy-bottomed pan until it is very hot. To check the pan, a droplet of water should dance on its surface. Working quickly but gently, add the salmon fillets, one at a time, flesh-side down. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes without disturbing the fillets, until the surface is blackened (peek as little as possible so that the salmon gets a nice dark color), then carefully turn each piece of salmon over.
- Continue cooking over medium-high heat, until the skin becomes crispy, and the fish is fully cooked through, about 5 to 6 additional minutes depending upon the thickness of the fillets.
To Prepare the Salad
- In a large salad bowl, mix the Spring Mix Salad greens, carrot, onion, and scallions. Add the dressing and mix very well. Plate mixed greens adding salmon to each plate and serve immediately.
Mediterranean Diet Recipes
If you are following the healthy eating plan of the Mediterranean Diet, consider visiting this page for more recipes.
Other Summer Salads