This black bean taco salad has lovely contrasting textures and flavors including crunch from the red pepper and creaminess from the avocado and black beans.
- GREENS (Optional) If using this taco salad as a side for your kiddo in a bento box, you can omit this ingredient if too difficult to eat. But if greens work for you, you can use all kinds of greens for black bean taco salad. My personal favorite is romaine. Feel free to used bagged salad mix or chopped romaine hearts to save time!
- BLACK BEANS. Black beans add plant-based protein, fiber, and is a wonderful complement to so many fruits and veggies
- SEASONED BEEF (Optional): You can add seasoned ground beef, if you would prefer meat in your taco salad.
- RED PEPPER: Red pepper offers color, sweetness, and crunch. It is a must have in any taco salad!
- CORN. Corn and black beans are a common pairing in southwest cuisine for a reason! You can use fresh, (cooked) frozen, or canned corn.
- TOMATOES. Cherry or grape tomatoes are my favorite! They hold up well when making salads ahead.
- GREEN ONIONS. A little milder thank white or red onions, green onions are my go to for this salad.
- CILANTRO. This herb is so delicious with traditional southwest flavors.
- AVOCADO. Diced, or sliced, it’s always good in taco salad.
- CRISPY TORTILLA STRIPS. Add crispy tortilla strips for a salty crunch.
- A CREAMY SALAD DRESSING. This salad has includes a recipe for avocado ranch which is the ultimate creamy dressing or dipping sauce.
Black Bean Taco Salad
- 1 c romaine lettuce chopped
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- 1 cup black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 cup corn canned or steamed from fresh/frozen
- 1/4 cup sliced cherry tomatoes
- 1/4 cup sliced green onion green part only
- 1/4 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup tortilla chips
Dressing or Dipping Sauce
- 1 large avocado seeded and skin removed
- ¼ cup plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- juice of ½ lemon
- 1 clove garlic minced
- ½ teaspoon parsley or 1 tsp fresh parsley
- ½ teaspoon dill or 1 tsp fresh dill
- ½ teaspoon chives or 1 tsp fresh chives
- ½ teaspoon onion powder or 1 tsp raw onion
- ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup milk
Prepare the salad
- Chop all veggies up super small so its easier for your kiddo to eat. Finely chop romaine (if using) bell pepper and cherry tomatoes, and thinly slice green onion. Combine with black beans, corn, and grated cheese. (Add seasoned ground beef here if using) Toss gently to combine.
Prepare the dressing
- In a food processor or blender, combine all ingredients EXCEPT milk.
- Blend until well-combined.
- Continue blending and add milk in small amounts until desired thickness is reached.
- Refrigerate avocado dressing in an airtight container up to 5 days.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!