Three bean salad is one of those quintessential American summer picnic foods. It's comforting, protein-rich, and easy to put together quickly with pantry ingredients.
What Kind of Beans Go Into a Three Bean Salad?
Three bean salad is usually made with canned green beans instead of the cannellini white beans we use here. In addition to canned cannellini beans, kidney beans and garbanzo beans were also added. You can also swap out any of them for cooked green beans, wax beans, or black beans.
3 Bean Salad
For the salad:
- 1 15-ounce can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 15-ounce can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 15-ounce can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- ½ red onion finely chopped, can be soaked in water to reduce taste of onion
- 2 celery stalks finely chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 cup loosely packed fresh, finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 teaspoon fresh finely chopped rosemary
For the dressing:
- ⅓ cup apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup granulated sugar more or less to taste
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Make the salad:
- In a large bowl, mix the beans, celery, onion, parsley, and rosemary
- Make the dressing:
- In a separate small bowl, whisk together the vinegar, sugar, olive oil, salt, and pepper. Add the dressing to the beans and toss well.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
Leave a Reply